I decided tonight should be a special night for me and the boy, so I stole some inspiration from Julia Child.
6 ounces unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark brewed coffee
4 large eggs, seperated
2/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tbsp
2 tbsp dark rum
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Heat a pot with water in the bottom, and in a bowl that sits in the top of the pot, melt together the chocolate, butter, and coffee. Stir till smooth and remove from heat.
2. prepare an ice bath, a big bowl of water with ice.
3. In another bowl that can sit on top of the pot, beat together the egg yolks with 2/3 cup of sugar, rum, and water until it looks like runny mayo.
4. Remove from heat and place in the ice bath. Keep beating until it's cool and thick, then fold the chocolate mixture into the yolks.
5. In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until they start to hold their shape. Add the tbsp of sugar and continue to beat until thick and shiny, but not stiff. Incorporate the vanilla.
6. Fold one third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then the rest of the whites until just incorporated. Don't go crazy, or you'll lose the lovely volume you've just created.
Refridgerate for at least 4 hours, until firm.
You can keep it in the fridge up to 4 days.
Mine looks lovely, and I just popped it into the fridge. Licked the spoon clean, and I must say it tastes amazing. Can't wait for it to be done!!!
4 weeks ago