Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Comforting Pastries

Recently I haven't had much time to make anything resembling a traditional breakfast. Some yogurt and granola, an apple eaten on the way to class, reheated cabbage soup... Anything I can grab that warms up in a hurry really. I decided to change that today. Simple Spiced Scones
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 large egg
Mixed all dry ingredients together, mashed in the butter until it was like course meal. I blended the yogurt and egg together before mixing into the dry ingredients. I bashed it around till it was all doughy, pressed the dough out into an 8 inch patty, and cut it into 8 pieces. I sprinkled a bit of sugar on top, and baked at 400 for 15 minutes. Not the pumpkin scones I was aiming for, although the lack of pumpkin in the recipe could have told me that. They were still quite nice, and it's a recipe I'll do again in a heartbeat. Hardly any time to mix the dough at all. Perfect for breakfast! I'm going to experiment with these a little more, with such a quick preparation time, I'll have time to make them at night so they'll be nice and cool for breakfast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment